Meriwether & Tharp, LLC
6788799000 Meriwether & Tharp, LLC 1545 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 300 Varied
If you have divorce questions

How do I file for a divorce in Georgia when I do not know where my spouse lives?

  • News

Over the years as divorce attorneys in Atlanta, we have received several calls from both women and men in which they want to file for divorce, but they are not sure where their spouse resides. In many cases, he or she has been separated from their spouses for years. Since they did not keep in touch with their spouse, they do not know where their spouse currently resides. There are several reasons why one of the spouses contacts our office for a divorce after so many years. One of the major reasons is miscommunication. When the spouses separated, one of the spouses believed that the other spouse filed for divorce even though they never received any paperwork from the court. Also, the parties may lead such busy lives that either one of the parties may have simply forgotten to file for divorce. There is usually some upcoming event, which causes one of the spouses to have to finally file for divorce. In some cases, one of the spouses is getting remarried and they need to be legally divorced prior to the date of their wedding.

Even though you may not be aware of your spouse’s whereabouts, a judge will still grant a divorce in Georgia, but in most cases, there is additional time and money involved. Before an attorney drafts any of the pleadings, you must provide as much personal information about your spouse, such as his or her last known address, his or her social security number, his or her full name, or his or her date of birth. The more information that you provide to your attorney, the more likely that your spouse can be located. Once you provide your spouse’s personal information to your attorney, they can perform a skip trace. In some cases, attorneys have access to public records databases where they can search for your spouse’s current address using his or her personal information. If your attorney does not have access to these databases, they can contact a third-party who can perform a skip trace for you. The third party company, however, does charge a fee to perform a skip trace on an individual. Also, the attorney or their staff can perform a postal trace in conjunction with the skip trace. When you perform a postal trace, a request is sent to the United States Postmaster in the city where your spouse last resided and the Postmaster will provide the attorney with the spouse’s last known address if it is available. The disadvantage of performing a postal trace is that if your spouse did not provide a forwarding address when he or she moved, then the Postmaster cannot provide the attorney with their new address.

Back to Blog