Meriwether & Tharp, LLC
Meriwether & Tharp, LLC 1545 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 300 Varied
If you have divorce questions

Frequently Asked Questions: Georgia Child Support

Question: Can I get a wage garnishment for back child support on Georgia?

Answer: In Georgia, you cannot obtain a garnishment until you have a Court Order establishing that the other party does owe you back owed child support. Thus, in general, until you have obtained an Order on a Contempt action, you cannot do anything. Once you have an Order establishing the amount owed, then you can request the Court to issue the garnishment.

Question: Can a mother sue the biological father of her children for back child support?

Answer: In Georgia, you cannot sue for retroactive child support, unless there was a previous Court Order establishing that support was proper and establishing the amount of support. If a party wants child support, they must seek it right away. That party can then receive support from the time the Order is entered and going forward until the child turns eighteen.

Back to Blog